26-04-2024 10:07

Mathias Hass Mathias Hass

Hello, Does anyone know what this is? Found on J

24-04-2024 21:54

éric ROMERO éric ROMERO

Bonjour, J'ai trouvé ce Lasiobolus sur laissées

23-04-2024 15:18

Lothar Krieglsteiner Lothar Krieglsteiner

... but likely a basidiomycete. I hope it is o.k.

23-04-2024 13:17

Edouard Evangelisti Edouard Evangelisti

Bonjour à tous, Je viens de récolter ce que je

23-04-2024 21:49

Ethan Crenson

Hello all, A friend recently found this orange as

22-04-2024 11:52

Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová) Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová)

Hello,I made a loan of a collection of Microstoma

11-01-2022 16:36

Jason Karakehian Jason Karakehian

Hi does anyone have a digital copy of Raitviir A (

22-04-2024 08:54

Rafael Cabral

Bonjour à toutes et tous, Quelqu'un pourrait-il

22-04-2024 20:38

Miguel Ãngel Ribes Miguel Ángel Ribes

Good afternoon.Does anyone know this anamorph?It g

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Orbilia sp. on Typha
Chris Yeates, 30-09-2014 21:49
Chris YeatesBonsoir tous
today I collected a few scattered apothecia of a discomycete which was difficult to see as it had the same pale brown colour as the surrounding stem of Typha latifolia.

Under the microscope it was clear that it was an Orbilia (with the characteristic knob-topped paraphyses). Inside the asci the spores were clearly long-cylindric and curved with short spore bodies at one end (half the spores reversed). Unusually for an Orbilia, in my limited experience, in a water mount there were many free spores. These were very much curved, some almost into a semicircle - I wonder whether the tension to form this shape contributed to the ease in which so many were ejected in the water mount.

Here are some preliminary images - I can post more in due course, but these are typical. The spore measurements were made from spore tip to spore tip, so they are like the string on a bow, rather than an attempt to measure them along the curve. Measurements made so far are in the range 8.1-10.9 x 1.2-1.3(1.4)µm.

I note there is an Orbilia arundinacea listed as occurring on monocot's like Typha; but looking at the protologue in Velenovsky (1934) he says of the spores 'Sp. . . . rectae' and no spores seen could be described as anything near straight. I cannot find O. arundinacea in Zotto's images - maybe I have missed something.

As ever, help very much appreciated.

Cordialement
Chris
  • message #31519
  • message #31519
  • message #31519
  • message #31519
  • message #31519
Hans-Otto Baral, 30-09-2014 22:16
Hans-Otto Baral
Re : Orbilia sp. on Typha
Hi Chris

this would require a section of the margin, in order to see whether it is a nematode-trapping species or not, and conidia :-)

O. arundinacea is a synonym of O. rectispora - typical for Typha and the like, but, as you say, with rather straight spores.

It is sometimes that you have many free spores in Orbilia. Difficult to explain. But the spore curvature which is actually less so inside the ascus - logically - can hardly contribute to this. The spores are agglutinated in one packet prior to discharge, and the packet is ejectd as one entity.

Zotto

Zotto
Chris Yeates, 30-09-2014 22:28
Chris Yeates
Thanks Zotto for the quick response - and there was I thinking such distinctive spores might make it easy!

I have little material to work with but I shall have a go at the section, probably tomorrow. What am I looking for in the margin which would tell whether it is a nematode trapper?. I have seen no evidence of conidia but will have a very careful look.

Chris
Hans-Otto Baral, 30-09-2014 22:34
Hans-Otto Baral
Orbilia auricolor has just those spores, and it is a collective species with an Arthrobotrys anamorph, trapping nematodes by adhesive networks. However the spores are more tapered at the basal end  in O. auricolor, so we are a bit reluctant.

Another option would be O. sambuci = O. fimicoloides, a lkewise plurivorous species with a Dactylella anamorph and no trapping capabilities. The Dactylella conidia are very characteristic: very large, fusiform, multiseptate.

The marginal excipulum forms distinct cell rows under a low angle in those with Dactylella, but roundish cells oriented under a high angle in those with Arthrobotrys.