Yulia Lytvynenko Yulia Lytvynenko

Dear friends.Looking for a copy of the following w

11-07-2024 14:29

Viktorie Halasu Viktorie Halasu

Hello, a thin-fleshed Mollisia on a monocot stem

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Specimen request
Jason Karakehian, 15-06-2023 16:59
Jason KarakehianI'm in need of a few, ample specimens of Mellitosporium hysterinum from Europe. Is anyone familiar with this fungus? If you know of a locality where it is abundant, and it's not too much trouble, would it be possible to send me some recent, air-dried specimens? Thank you in advance - Jason
  • message #76374
Hans-Otto Baral, 15-06-2023 17:52
Hans-Otto Baral
Re : Specimen request
Mellitiosporium hysterinum I only know from Eugene Popov's images of an uncertain record. Is there any illustration in the older or younger literature?
Jason Karakehian, 15-06-2023 22:15
Jason Karakehian
I will make a plate and post it here. There is a not so great drawing in Patouillard 1886 Tabulae analyticae fungorum vol 1 Fasc. V, p. 213, the illustration is no. 491. They are often on coniferous trees like spruce and pine, but can be on hardwoods too.
Adam Polhorský, 18-06-2023 11:59
Filip Fuljer found this species in Croatia a year ago. I think it fits the description well. I forgot to take a macro pic, but it looks exactly like the one from Ellis collection, elongated apothecia densely scattered on a bleached twig. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15myhTyeWEj2gN-dn0VD-bl6jQLCVm8i7?usp=sharing

Jason, I can send it to you, but there is a low chance the spores are still alive.

Maybe Filip can find it again this year:)

Also M. propolidoides is not so rare in high altitude Picea forests, I can send you an ITS from one collection.

Jason Karakehian, 18-06-2023 13:53
Jason Karakehian
I have uploaded a quick plate.
Hi Adam, 
Yes, I think that is it from the images. Thank you! It is okay if the spores are dead. It would be good to make a culture from these but the fungus seems to sequence well from apothecia if they are not too old and if there enough of them (4 or so). If it is an ample collection, I am definitely interested, please.
As for Mellitosporium propolidoides sequence please do share it with me. I am in need of European specimens of this as well. I've had a harder time sequencing from material that is even a few years old, but that could have just been those specimens. Any fresh, ample specimens that you could send would be appreciated and acknowledged! 
I will send you a separate email. 
Adam Polhorský, 18-06-2023 14:16
Okay Jason, I see your email. I'll prepare the specimen, there are 100+ apos.

There is the same bleaching of the wood around the frbs, but I have different immpresion about the amyloidity. In the Filips sample, it seems that the hymenial gel is blueing in low IKI c. and is deeply red in higher c. So hemiamyloid, same as in M. propolidoides. Maybe I'll have a chance to collect that one this year aswell.
Jason Karakehian, 18-06-2023 14:34
Jason Karakehian
Got it, thank you Adam! This is great. Please drop me a quick email to let me know when it is mailed so I know to keep an eye out for it.
Kind regards, Jason
Jason Karakehian, 28-06-2023 22:07
Jason Karakehian
Hi Adam, I tried to email you about ten days ago but I'm not sure that you got it. I want to follow up with you about your generous offer of specimens and ITS sequence. Please drop me a line and thanks!