B Shelbourne B Shelbourne

• Bactridium flavum (anamorph): Distinctive macr

15-04-2024 14:37

Eric Rousseau

Bonjour,Je sais que les cyphelles ne sont pas des

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Hyphomycete on Melomastia
Eduard Osieck, 30-01-2019 19:57
This hyphomycete with rather large synnemata (up to 1 mm) grew on and near Melomastia mastoidea. Older synnemata got punkish. Conidia short cylindric, two-celled, 6.5-10 x 3 um. Does anybody has an idea of species or genus?

Thanks in advance, Eduard
  • message #56055
  • message #56055
Hans-Otto Baral, 30-01-2019 20:22
Hans-Otto Baral
Re : Hyphomycete on Melomastia
Yes, this is a difficult case. A plurivorous species, though usually on pyrenomycetes. You find images in my folder "reynoutriae + Isaria" in the generic folder Calloriopsis, Helicogoniaceae, Phacidiales. isaria friesii is a name which is not confirmed since no type material was ever restudied - maybe none exists.

The ca. 20-25 µm long conidiophores should bear many small denticles on which the conidia are formed.

Which tree species did yours grow on? I would like to note the collection data for using in a future publication. The species is not at all rare but overlooked because it usually grows on exposed, attached branches.

Zotto

Eduard Osieck, 31-01-2019 12:48
Thank you very much for your comment! This looks much like some of the images shown in your folder, so it is likely to refer to the same taxon.

Collection data are as follows: 16Jan2018, Nieuw Wulven near Houten (Ut.), branch of Fraxinus from the ground (small wood plot, planted about 20 yrs ago, all trees dead), ass. with Melastia mastoidea, Eutypa lata, Capronia species (5-septate), Mollisia species and Episphaeria fraxinicola.

I failed to find anything on this taxon. How was the link between this anamorph stage and the genus Calloriopsis established? In your 2000 paper on the Calloriopsideae such an anamorphic stage is not mentioned.

Best regards, Eduard
Hans-Otto Baral, 31-01-2019 13:21
Hans-Otto Baral
Thanks! In 2000 I did not know about this species, my first drawings were made on fresh samples from 2004 (on Sambucus ebulus) and 2005 (on Reynoutria). Surely I will not keep the name reynoutriae after it turned out to be so plurivorous.

When I met Brian Spooner in 2011 we noticed that we both know this species. The images with 5.III.2011 and  HB 9507 refer to his samples. He also drew my attention to the name Isaria friesii.

I put the original description by Montagne in my folder and also attach it here. This could well be the fungus in question, although Montagne then must have overlooked the septum in the conidia. As he gave no conidial size and drew a thin unbranched conidiophore, I am in doubt about this taxon.
  • message #56073
Eduard Osieck, 04-02-2019 21:54
Hi Zotto,
Thank you very much for the additional information and the copy of the protologue.
Unfortunate that this striking hyphomycete is so poorly known.
Eduard
Edvin Johannesen, 05-02-2019 12:31
Edvin Johannesen
Hi!

Is it beyond doubt that the two photos show the same fungus? A specimen was sent to me a few weeks ago (Norway), which looks very much the same as the first photo (and one of the photos in your folder as Calloriopsis cf. gelatinosa, Zotto), but there are no "horns" looking pinkish. Here are a few photos.  (the micro-photos are taken with phase contrast, because that's what I use initially in order to see hyaline structures. I know you guys don't love phase contrast - so sorry ;-)

It may seem like the conidia become septate. Condidiophores have various shapes, but with some sort of outgrowths.

I guess this is the same fungus?
  • message #56166
  • message #56166
  • message #56166
  • message #56166
  • message #56166
  • message #56166
Edvin Johannesen, 05-02-2019 12:41
Edvin Johannesen
The Norwegian specimen was growing on twig of 20+ years old Ribes nigrum x uva-crispa.  South-western coastal Norway.
Thomas Læssøe, 05-02-2019 12:50
A Danish specimen is on Cotoneaster: https://svampe.databasen.org/observations/446021
cheers
Thomas
Hans-Otto Baral, 05-02-2019 13:08
Hans-Otto Baral
I am quite sure it is the same. Yes, conidia must be 1-septate.

What is the substrate here? And what was the support plant in your collection?
Edvin Johannesen, 05-02-2019 13:31
Edvin Johannesen
A couple of questions:

Both Index fungorum, Mycobank and GBIF place Isaria friesii in Cordycipitales. As far as I understand you regard it as a discomycete anamorph, Zotto - correct?  What is the basis for that? I find no sequence data in GeneBank.

In any case, do you consider it acceptable at this stage to register the Norwegian collection as Isaria friesii, in order to make it visible in GBIF?  There are so far only five entries in GBIF (Sweden, Denmark and UK).

Thanks.
Thomas Læssøe, 05-02-2019 14:22
the placement in IF is based on the generic type so a 'robot-placement' :-)
Edvin Johannesen, 05-02-2019 14:29
Edvin Johannesen
That's what I suspected. Does mycobank.org "follow" IF in its taxonomic "assessment"?
Hans-Otto Baral, 05-02-2019 16:57
Hans-Otto Baral
Yes, Mycobank usually follows IF or vice versa.

We have an unpublished sequence which is difficult to interpret, though clearly nbot Clavicipitalean. There is no doubt that the apothecia belong to this anamorph, both morpho- and genetically.

Since there is no sequence of a Helicogonium, we cannot say whether there is some relation. So muhc I can say that Gelatinipulvinella is genetically very far from our "Calloriopsis".  Gelatinopsis fungicola also exists with DNA and is probably also very distant.

I think we can be sure they all fall in the Leotiomycetidae, while Helotiales or Phacidiales or ... is unsure.

If I were sure about the identity of Isaria friesii I would be willing to start this issue for a publication. Wjo knows, perhaps material exists in UPS?
Edvin Johannesen, 06-02-2019 08:58
Edvin Johannesen
Thanks!
Eduard Osieck, 06-02-2019 19:11
Hi Edvin

Answer to your query: yes, both of my photos concern the same collection.

Eduard
Edvin Johannesen, 06-02-2019 21:59
Edvin Johannesen
OK, thanks Eduard!
Laurens van der Linde, 11-02-2019 11:15
Laurens van der Linde
i found this on a Aldertree stem looks the same??
gr lou
  • message #56244
  • message #56244
Hans-Otto Baral, 11-02-2019 11:31
Hans-Otto Baral
Yes, this is very likely. Where and when did you collect it? Seems the apothecia are present here, did you have a look at the microscope?
Laurens van der Linde, 11-02-2019 13:03
Laurens van der Linde
thanks Hans i found this one in dec2018 but i found yesterday the same on the same place in Holland in a Park with many alders and oack 
i can this week look if i can find more and send it to you 
and yes i saw 2 differend form of this specie 
i have no microscoop
gr lou
Hans-Otto Baral, 11-02-2019 14:41
Hans-Otto Baral
Hmm, at the moment I do not work on this species, but in about a year I wish to do an article on it. How sure are you with Alnus, was it an attached twig? The exact date and locality would help me for my notes.
Zotto
Edvin Johannesen, 11-02-2019 15:02
Edvin Johannesen
Are you interested in the details about the Norwegian collection, too, Zotto?  No apothecia, though.
Hans-Otto Baral, 11-02-2019 15:10
Hans-Otto Baral
Yes, for sure, I did not remember.
Edvin Johannesen, 11-02-2019 15:14
Edvin Johannesen
OK, I'll get back to you once I have the details.