Accès membres

Mot de passe perdu? S'inscrire

17-05-2024 15:17

éric ROMERO éric ROMERO

Bonjour, Un besoin d'aide pour ce Podospora (...?

17-05-2024 16:25

Pavel Jiracek

Erioscyphella lunata, found on a fallen needle of

29-01-2022 21:44

Jan Eckstein

Good evening, apothecia small, yellowish, 150-300

16-05-2024 11:19

Sylvie Le Goff

Bonjour, j'ai récolté sur une branchette de feui

14-05-2024 09:19

Hans-Otto Baral Hans-Otto Baral

Hi, I want to announce for next Sunday 17.00 middl

16-05-2024 11:49

Castillo Joseba Castillo Joseba

De ayer en rama de abetoNo se por donde mirarA ver

14-05-2024 09:50

Yannick Mourgues Yannick Mourgues

Hi. Found on decorticated wod of Populus cf. alba

16-05-2024 09:02

Vasileios Kaounas Vasileios Kaounas

Found 15-05-24 in forest with Abies cephalonica, i

15-05-2024 17:26

First time I find this season and in this habitat,

16-05-2024 07:34

Found in forest with Abies cephalonica. Diameter 0

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Ingoldian Fungi
Chris Yeates, 02-05-2015 19:03
Chris YeatesBonjour tous
This time of year is not the best time to collect these fungi, but a recent species-rich collection has encouraged me to draw the attention (or remind) ASCOFrance members to this branch of mycological study (Alain G is clearly 'on the case'!). I know many on here have made excellent collections of teleomorphs of aquatic and semi-aquatic ascos.

All that is needed is naturally-formed foam in streams, or sometimes at the edge of standing water, and the simplest of materials:
~ a teaspoon
~ a water-tight container
~ a botanical fixative (otherwise the conidia start to germinate when they touch a solid object) Formol Acetic Alcohol is the one normally used
~ literature - this http://www.ascofrance.com/uploads/document/1989DescalsAquaticHyphos-0001.pdf which I have uploaded to ASCOFrance was produced for a workshop I helped organise many years ago, and is still the first one I consult when identifying conidia

Most of the fungi encountered are anamorphs of ascomycete fungi; for a number the teleomorph is also now known. Occasionally one comes across fungi from other groups: in the foam in these photographs were also the coronate conidia of a zygomycete (Erynia rhizospora) and those of a member of the tiny basidiomycete order the Classiculales http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classiculomycetes. I have included images of three fungi here, before I submit them to the Database.

Nectria lugdunensis - these are conidia of the Heliscus anamorph, they are characteristically shaped like cloves (clous de girofle /Gewürznelken); once, many years ago, I collected a semi-submerged branch with both the anamorph and teleomorph growing together.

Culicidospora gravida - these remarkable conidia have been described by Ingold as looking like penguins, to me they also resemble hummingbirds. The granular contents are characteristic, I have not found a reference yet to the coloured contents - these are not stained.

Flabellospora acuminata - another species with large remarkably shaped (and large) conidia - an aquatic lifestyle evolves its own solutions.

I hope this may encourage others to dip their toes into this fascinating area of study.

Cordialement
Chris

• message #35545
  • message #35545
  • message #35545
  • message #35545
Stip Helleman, 03-05-2015 22:16
Stip Helleman
Re : Ingoldian Fungi
wonderful Chris,
these fungi are mostly unnoticed by me although they are lovely.

cheers,
Stip
Nick Aplin, 03-05-2015 23:09

Very nice Chris :)

Thanks for sharing these beautiful images,

Nick

Christian Lechat, 04-05-2015 07:28
Christian Lechat
Hi Chris,
I have a collection of sexual state of Neonectria lugdunensis (Sacc. & Therry) L. Lombard & Crous 2014 = Heliscus lugdunensis Sacc. & Therry, collected by Yannick Mourgues on 20.Feb. 2010, France, Hautes-Alpes, Jourcins, St André d'Embrun. I attach some images of this collection.
Cheers,
Christian
MARIA VIRGINIA BIANCHINOTTI, 06-05-2015 20:11
Nice photos! Thank you!
Michel Hairaud, 06-05-2015 21:53
Michel Hairaud

Hi Chris,

How would you tell in English '' je suis scotché par la beauté des photos'' !

SOmething like ''I am stuck ...'' may be more colloquial

Bravo AMitiés. Michel

Stip Helleman, 06-05-2015 22:40
Stip Helleman
Great,
thanks Christian to show both morphs together.
Stip