Bonsoir à toutes et tous,J'ai trouvé ce matin ce

28-04-2024 13:30

Juuso Äikäs

On Friday I found these pale, hairy little discos

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Textura intricada vs. Textura intricata
Miguel Ángel Ribes, 13-03-2015 10:26
Miguel Ãngel RibesGood morning

I would like to propose an issue. Most authors write textura intricata, textura globularis ...  (in latin, cursive) instead of textura intricada, textura globulosa (in spanish), intricate texture, globular texture (in english) ... and I would like to know the reason of it. Is it incorrect to write it in the paper languaje? Is it better to write it all times in latin, regardless of the language in which you write the paper? Why?

Thank you.
Hans-Otto Baral, 13-03-2015 10:44
Hans-Otto Baral
Re : Textura intricada vs. Textura intricata
Hi Miguel

Yes, we are free to say globular texture, or texture of globose cells. But remember that very familiar terms are in latin, such as ascus. If you want to use a language devoid of foreign elements then you must say something like sac or hose for ascus. Of course, these latin terms have historical origin. Someone introduced them at a time when Latin was more en vogue, and until now we use them, why not.

Zotto
Thomas Læssøe, 13-03-2015 11:16
Agree with Zotto but should we use the term ascomycetes (and basidiomycetes etc.). I think not since it is confusing for students that this class ending is used for a phylum, so if we want to use a slang term for Ascomycota we should call them ascomycotes :-)
Hans-Otto Baral, 13-03-2015 11:33
Hans-Otto Baral
hmmm, I suppose these is Greek vs. English, isn't it?
Shane John, 13-03-2015 14:42
Many reasons for using Latin instead of local languages, but the one that I have found to be most usefule and guiding is that fact that Latin is a dead language and thus, the terms don't change. Modern language changes over time and means different things to different people, even who speak the same language.

Of course, nobody knows how Latin sounded because no is alive who spoke Latin as a native language. In my experience, you say Latin names the way your professor or mentor said them. Again, there are lots of accents and ways people say Latin words, ignoring the grammar rules for Latin.
Miguel Ángel Ribes, 13-03-2015 16:14
Miguel Ãngel Ribes
Very interesting your argues, I prefer to write it in Latin too, but I never had thought about the reason and would like to know it.

Thank you.
Mario Filippa, 14-03-2015 01:21

I think it's simply because many people have learned a concept associate to a word in that language and if nobody translated it at first, the foreign word come in the current use.

It is the case of many English words in current use now, as "computer" or "bar" or "fast-food" that are not translated in most countries. French people maybe are the most attached to their language. In Italy nobody would understand what you mean if you say "topo" for "mouse", but in France people use "souris" (we are talking about computers not animals...!).

So as in technology the main language is English, many words remain in English in all the world. As Latin was the botanical main language, many Latin words are still in use in all the world. Do we really need to translate them? Is it not a beautiful thing to have a word used worldwide...?

Ciao (not to be translated)

Mario