Bonjour. Petite pézize récoltée au sol en bordu

30-04-2024 19:43

Gernot Friebes

Hi!We observed this hyphomycete growing between le

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Leptotrochila ranunculi query
Chris Yeates, 06-09-2012 21:23
Chris YeatesBonsoir tous

while putting together the 'fungus portrait' below I checked to see what the current name was; I was extremely surprised to see that Species Fungorum now has Dothidea ranunculi Fr. as the current name - http://www.speciesfungorum.org/Names/SynSpecies.asp?RecordID=159634?
This seems crazy, after all the description for the family in Cannon & Kirk's Families of the Fungi (2008):
"Dothideaceae
Dothideales: Ascomycota

Stromata multiloculate, immersed or erumpent, usually pulvinate or crustose; black, thick-walled, opening by an apical, usually lysigenous pore. Interascal tissue lacking. Asci saccate or clavate, fissi-tunicate. Ascospores small, hyaline or brown, transversely septate."
scarcely fits this fungus. I fully appreciate that Species Fungorum is not free of inconsistencies (I have had to point out clear errors to Paul Kirk before, and they have been corrected). Nor is it always up-to-date with the latest studies (its treatment of the Peronosporales, for example is very unreliable). Does anyone have any idea where this strange taxonomic decision has come from?

Cordialement
Chris
  • message #19639
Hans-Otto Baral, 06-09-2012 21:33
Hans-Otto Baral
Re : Leptotrochila ranunculi query
Hi Chris

I cannot say you why IF asserst Dothidea as current name, only that it is actually the genus where Fries orginally placed the species.

I assume and hope that nobody intends to redefine Dothidea in the sense of a helotialean fungus ... :-/ though this would  offer a new name to replace Helotiales.... :-)

Zotto
Michel Hairaud, 07-09-2012 19:55
Michel Hairaud
Very nice pics, Chris !

Zotto, would you please develop a little bit your last sentence : ''I assume and hope that nobody intends to redefine Dothidea in the sense of a helotialean fungus ... :-/ though this would offer a new name to replace Helotiales.... :-)''

Amitiés
Michel
Hans-Otto Baral, 07-09-2012 21:57
Hans-Otto Baral
Hi Michel

I am not an expert in pyrenos, and I am not at all familiar with the genus Dothidea, only that I conclude that it is the type genus of the Dothideales. Now, depending on what the type species of Dothidea is (I do not know but such types sometimes change), it could become a helotialean genus, like Helotium moved to become a basidiomycete.

Well, the whole was a joke, though sometimes jokes become true...

Zotto
Michel Hairaud, 07-09-2012 22:24
Michel Hairaud
Thanks, Zotto, I was only eager to make sure I had caught the joke all right , which was luckily the case !
Keep on joking !

AMitiés
Michel