15-07-2024 10:38

Joaquin Martin

Hi, I found this Ascobolus in company of Cheilyme

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Unknown apothecia on debarked wood of Cytisus scoparia
Marian Jagers, 01-12-2023 21:54
Marian Jagers
Does anyone recognize this species?

Apothecia in a larger group. Young apothecia cupulate, edged and with a short stipe, older apothecia concaaf, old cushionshaped and stipe barely visible, up tot 0,5 mm diam. Hymenium darkgrey, brown powdered. Color of the receptaculum ipurple (darkbrownish?), shiny.

Spores colourless, smooth, with some drops, 0-1 septe (sometimes seen septated within the ascus), 7,5-10,5 x 1,5-2,2 ?m.
Asci in mass somewhat coloured, indiviual ascus colourless, 8 spored, about 55-65x 5 ?m, covered with a brownish resinous? matter, J-, apical apparatus not visible, in KOH upper half discoloring purple. In KOH the resinous matter discolored purplish.
Parafyses colourless, cylindrical, septated and dividing, ending straight, curved or strongly curved, about the same length as the asci.
Excipulum question mark. I cannot detect any layering. The outside looks rough and irregular ribbed, covered with thick darkbrownish tissue. Also describing the color is a problem. For me microscopic the color is dark brown but my camera also registers purple. In KOH 5% the outsides discolours, leaving a purple halo around the tissue.

Regards, Marian Jagers

• message #77532
  • message #77532
  • message #77532
  • message #77532
  • message #77532
  • message #77532
  • message #77532
  • message #77532
  • message #77532
  • message #77532
Hans-Otto Baral, 02-12-2023 19:36
Hans-Otto Baral
Re : Unknown apothecia on debarked wood of Cytisus scoparia
Hi Marian

indeed this species is kmowm to me. It belongs in Cordieritidaceae by morphology and I have started a paper on it together with Adam Polhorsky. The paper is quite advanced, but problem was that there exist two genotypes and the difference was mainly in spore width. Moreover, one of my collections was somewhat intermediate and without a sequence we could not say which taxon it might belong. given that two species should be recognised.

I would greatly appreciate if you could send me all your relevant pics with scale so that I can make up my mind and compare with our collections.

The provisional name is Skyttea uncinata. In our ITS+LSU analysis, however, it did not cluster with Skyttea and not even with Cordieritidaceae.

In any case, if you see a possibility to give the specimen for sequencing, this could help in our project which includes also a genetically close species with very long multiseptate spores.

Zotto
Adam Polhorský, 03-12-2023 14:02
Hi Marian, nice docu! Thank you Zotto for answering.

I think it is good uncinata. It would be great to include this collection to the paper. I'm happy to attempt to sequence it. 

Adam
Marian Jagers, 04-12-2023 13:58
Marian Jagers
Hi Zotto and Adam, 

Thanks for your comments. Sorry for the late response. I was away for a few days and unable to respond without having my password.

I wil dry the piece of wood with the apothecia and will send it to you, and if better for sequencing, put a number (how many?) of apothecia in a C-tab tube and send it along.
Who can I send it to? To you Adam? Would you please give me your address?

I will send larger sized photos to Zotto.

Do I understand correctly that this species has not yet been officially described? There is no older name and description for this species for me to read?

Kind regards,

Marian
Adam Polhorský, 04-12-2023 21:13
Many thanks Marian! I'll write you all the details in email.

A.