Dear all, Does anyone have these papers and send

08-07-2024 23:34

Villalonga Paco

Small Scutellinia growing in garden soil (calcareo

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Hymenoscyphus albidus? in Canada
Khomenko Igor, 05-08-2021 00:32
Khomenko IgorHi,

I thought that this was a good fit for H. albidus, but now I'm not certain. Relatively common on rotten leaves and petioles in wet areas in Ottawa, On, Canada.

This was on rotten skeleton leaves and long petioles (too long for Acer). It was abundant under ferns, with Fraxinus next to them.
Apothecia 1-2.3mm in diam., white, stipitate.
Asci 8-spored, IKI+bb, croziers(-), 79-102x8.5-9.5um.
Paraphyses cylindrical, with  highly refracting VBs, about 3um at the apex.
Ascospores scutuloid, with large guttules, 
(14.5) 14.8 - 16 (16.6) × (3.9) 4 - 4.5 (4.6) µm
Q = 3.4 - 3.9 (4.2) ; N = 24
Me = 15.4 × 4.2 µm ; Qe = 3.7

Pictures are here:
https://inaturalist.org/observations/88763257

Thank you for your help,
Igor

• message #69730
Hans-Otto Baral, 05-08-2021 11:30
Hans-Otto Baral
Re : Hymenoscyphus albidus? in Canada
Indeed this is obviously H. albidus. The leaves look like Fraxinus, I see nodes on the petioles, could it be that the large leaf blades are leaflets of a pinnate leaf?

I actually had a folder "albidus America", but with one macrophoto:

"Oct 11, 2015 14:12 in Section Line Trail, Issaquah, WA 98027, USA. - never clarified!"

The other two photos of litter with apos I do not remember their origin, they came from Martin Bemmann
Viktorie Halasu, 05-08-2021 14:23
Viktorie Halasu
Hi Igor, 

if you haven't mailed the Rutstroemia yet, could you please include a sample of this Hymenoscyphus too? There's Hymenoscyphus pusillus, described from Europe and so far known only from Poland (type) and Czech Rep. (not yet published). It's growing only on F. pennsylvanica, skeletized leaves (and petioles too?) covered with black stromatic layer. My collection was confirmed by DNA. I've measured its spore size as: * (12,5–)13,5–16(–17) × (3,5–)3,7–4,6(–4,9) um, Q = (3–)3,3–3,9(–4,5) {13 apos} 
https://www.nahuby.sk/obrazok_detail.php?obrazok_id=760370

Except the host preference, I don't know how to distinguish H. pusillus from H. albidus in teleomorph, both macro- and micro. characters overlap a lot. Even the pattern/shape of the blackened areas are said to be similar in both species. The authors of H. pusillus actually mentioned more similarities than differences between these two.

So I wonder: 
- Can H. albidus grow on other ashes than F. excelsior and F. angustifolia?
- What is your collection (DNA will help) and exactly on which ash species it is growing (petiole anatomy helps IDing the host on genus level, leaf blade anatomy on species level)?

Best wishes,
Viktorie
Hans-Otto Baral, 05-08-2021 17:25
Hans-Otto Baral
Hi Viktorie

good idea. Your H. pusillus spores look shorter. In your link I find

* (13,6) 13,9-15,2 (15.8) × (3.8) 3.9-4.4 (4.5)

which is also what i see on the spore collage that I got from you.

But actually the protologue of pusillus says 11-17 x 3-5 µm which tells that the difference to albidus is very poor.

In my paper (2014) I have for albidus *(13.5–)14.5–18.5(–20.5) × (3.5–)4–4.8(–5) µm.

It is true, I know albidus only from F. excelsior. You know it from F. angustifolia?

Zotto
Khomenko Igor, 05-08-2021 19:01
Khomenko Igor
There were no other option but Fraxinus for this specimen and I checked microscopy from a leaf and a petiole and they both were identical. It looked indeed as Fraxinus petioles and leaflets.
Fraxinus pennsylvanica, F. americana and F. nigra are reported as common species around Ottawa, so it is probably on a different species than in Europe. I can't tell what species it was on, but I'm sure with your help I can figure it out. It is in the area where I go on a monthly basis, so I can get more material and check trees. They are starting to produce seeds, so identification should get easier.

The last year I reported this species from 3 different locations and the microscopy was very consistent, but that times I wasn't confident about hosts.
https://inaturalist.org/observations?d2=2020-12-31&locale=en&place_id=any&taxon_id=493449&user_id=ikhom

Viktorie, I have a good specimen. I will include it.

Thanks for all your help,
Igor

Viktorie Halasu, 05-08-2021 19:37
Viktorie Halasu
Hello Zotto,

the spore size above is combined from 13 apothecia (3 collections), whereas that on the link is only from 1 coll. and 1 apo. Last year I checked every piece of substrate in both specimens (sample from 1 apo and from the substrate) because H. fraxineus was present on all the collection sites too. H. fraxineus usually has longer stalk and larger apothecia, but I wanted to be sure. H. pusillus was so far only on F. pennsylvanica on my localities.

Regarding the spore size in orig. description, esp. the lower range - I don't know in what state it was measured. They wrote the observations/measurements were done in distilled water but that doesn't say whether the spores were alive. Description of paraphyses seems in living state whereas the illustration is dead etc. 

"H. albidus is known mostly from F. excelsior and rarely from F. angustifolia" (Kowalski et Bilanski, H. pusillus paper, cited without source). But in your fraxineus-albidus paper you mentioned Svcek's coll. of H. albidus on F. angustifolia from Hungary. It's the same locality and host as his collection of Rutstroemia longipes, so I guess this too is worth a revision. I've never seen H. albidus myself.

Viktorie

Hans-Otto Baral, 05-08-2021 20:57
Hans-Otto Baral
The upper spore photo on the plate in Kowalski shows living spores, but we cannot be sure about the measurements. From the scale I get *15-15.5 x 4.3-4.5 µm.

It is very long ago that i saw H. albidus. It is now quite impossible in our area to find it. Is there no competition between pusillus and fraxineus on pennsylvanica? I fear I never met F. pennsylvanica intentionally.