HiOn Hedera helix fallen branchEcological habitat:

26-03-2024 11:06

michel bertrand

Bonjour, Malgré de nombreuses recherches, je n'a

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Second find of Orbilia caudata-like
Khomenko Igor, 21-04-2021 06:03
Khomenko IgorHi,

I found a second specimen of Orbilia caudata-like. It was at the different location. I have a fresh specimen. It was on Ulmus. I took pictures of the tree and a sample of wood.
On the same branch, I also found Orbilia pilifera. The same conidia were present in both specimens.

#825 https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/74272664
(#496 from Nov 2019 - https://inaturalist.ca/observations/35958367)

I didn't hear from Guy Marson, so I don't know if he received my first specimen or if it got lost, but in any case, now I have more information and more material.

Igor

• message #68553
Hans-Otto Baral, 21-04-2021 11:11
Hans-Otto Baral
Re : Second find of Orbilia caudata-like
Ah, very good, these photos are now much better since most was dead in previous ones.

The conidia seem to belong to this fungus, and then it cannot be the Piliferae to which we placed O. caudata.

Perhaps it is series Habrostictis, despite the absence of hairs.

I also wondered about Guy. I know he rarely looks into Ascofrance, so I will write him a mail.

Zotto
Guy Marson, 22-04-2021 16:44
Hi Igor,
You probably mean the second mailing. See image below.

The material has arrived on 12-Mar-2021. Very robustly packaged, like the first shipment. I tried a PCR of the first material but without success. My primers are contaminated, new ones have been ordered but have not yet arrived. As soon as I get results, I'll let you know.

Best wishes,

Guy

• message #68577
Khomenko Igor, 22-04-2021 18:56
Khomenko Igor
Zotto, I see this is the same species as what Alden Dirks found before me, but on Quercus alba. My bark looks very similar to his and the presence of O. pilifera should eliminate everything but Ulmus. I have micro and macrophotography of this O. pilifera if needed.

Thank you Guy for the update. It is good to know that you got it. I had some doubts.

Now I have a much better specimen of O. xanthoguttulata (#779 https://inaturalist.ca/observations/72036555) from Salix discolor. The largest apothecium was 2.5mm. It was next to O. eucalypti, ?O. caudata, Helicogonium orbiliarum and Hysteropatella prostii.
For O. caudata I found only two small cups mixed with abundant O.eucalypti, so I don't have material left but I got some pictures (#779B https://inaturalist.ca/observations/72050060).

Hans-Otto Baral, 22-04-2021 20:57
Hans-Otto Baral
I actually also imagine that Alan Dirk's sample was on Ulmus, it really looks so.

Hmm, you cause me work. Great, this xanthoguttulata. And caudata - well possible, looks a bit like the sample from Taiwan.

Hysteropatella on Salix should be H. elliptica, with more bluish pigment in hymenium.
Khomenko Igor, 24-04-2021 00:41
Khomenko Igor
Thank you Zotto for pointing out about Hysteropatella. The spores were mostly under 20um and Qe=2.8, so I assumed that it has to be Hysteropatella prostii. I don't have good measurements from this specimen, but I've observed it earlier on the same host Salix discolor, in the same area and the data is here:
(#705 https://inaturalist.ca/observations/67150789).
If you think it is a host-specific species then I will change it.
I also observed Hysteropatella on Ulmus and the spores were even smaller, but there is a chance they were not mature enough.
Hans-Otto Baral, 24-04-2021 08:08
Hans-Otto Baral
Hysteropatella is not easy, especially outside Europe. Which key did you use?

Very long ago I started an article, with the following key. It may be that the situation in America is different, a sample on Ulmus in herb. Petrak (as H. prostii) seems to me doubtful, the spores are too small. I have also studied an Australian specimen on a climber with similarly small spores. There is the name Angelina maura Ellis, considered a synonym of H. prostii by IF, but so far I could not locate a description.

1. Spores 27–32 × 10.5–12 µm, on Artemisia, Purshia, Oregon .. H. oregana Sherwood 1985
1. Spores max. 28 × 9.3 µm .. 2

2. Spores *18–25(–28) × 6–8(–8.5) µm, light to medium brown, 3-septate, rarely a few spores with 4–5 septa, ?shape, asci *80–96 × 13.5–15 µm, paraphyses in H2O with a greyish-blue gel exudate among their subapices, on exterior of bark of still–attached dead corticated twigs of Salix, mainly seated on the ostioles of a dothidealean pyrenomycete, Europe .. H. elliptica
2. Spores *14–22(–26) µm long, 3–septate, very rarely few spores with only 2 or with 4–5 septa, gel exudate among tips of paraphyses olivaceous–brownish or greyish-lilaceous, never bluish (in H2O!), paraphyses *2–3.7 µm wide (prostii) .. 3

3. Spores *14–22(–26) × 6–8(–9.3) µm, light to medium brown, ellipsoid-fusoid, slightly curved, asci *56–92 × 13–17 µm, in KOH 13–15 µm wide, on usually inner side of partly detached bark, rarely on wood of Malus (rarely Pyrus and Prunus?), not distinctly associated with a pyrenomycete, Europe .. H. prostii
3. Spores KOH 13.5–20 × 4.7–6 µm, more fusoid–clavate, ± straight, asci in KOH 10.5–13 µm wide, on corticated twigs of Ulmus, Cornus, ?Acer, USA .. H. maura ("americana")
Khomenko Igor, 25-04-2021 15:48
Khomenko Igor
Big thank you Zotto for your Hysteropatella keys.
I didn't use any key for my identification. I made my assumption based mostly on spores size alone and considered only two options H. elliptica and H. prostii.

I see that my specimen from Ulmus has not only smaller spores but lilaceous color of gel exudate among tips of paraphyses.
Could it be H. maura ("americana")?
#710 - https://inaturalist.ca/observations/67391232

For the specimens on Salix, I don't see greyish-blue gel exudate among tips of paraphyses and spores are small, so I tend to think it is more resemble H. prostii.

I probably need to collect more specimens and get more data.

Thanks,
Igor