26-04-2024 10:07

Mathias Hass Mathias Hass

Hello, Does anyone know what this is? Found on J

24-04-2024 21:54

éric ROMERO éric ROMERO

Bonjour, J'ai trouvé ce Lasiobolus sur laissées

23-04-2024 15:18

Lothar Krieglsteiner Lothar Krieglsteiner

... but likely a basidiomycete. I hope it is o.k.

23-04-2024 13:17

Edouard Evangelisti Edouard Evangelisti

Bonjour à tous, Je viens de récolter ce que je

23-04-2024 21:49

Ethan Crenson

Hello all, A friend recently found this orange as

22-04-2024 11:52

Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová) Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová)

Hello,I made a loan of a collection of Microstoma

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
500 and counting
Chris Yeates, 26-12-2014 03:25
Chris YeatesOver the last few years a vague idea has crystallised into a firmer project. My aim is to produce images of 1000 fungal taxa, all of those images (preferably) at publication standard. The criteria are that:
(a) all the fungi will have been seen and confirmed by myself (or other mycologists  whose opinion I trust)
(b) as far as is possible the images shall consist of composite 'plates' showing all the important diagnostic features (including measurements, where appropriate), to help others with their determinations
(c) the images are all based on (Watsonian) Yorkshire (UK) material
(d) at least the critical identifications will be based on fungarium material lodged in suitable regional or national collections; all expert opinions given with regard to identification will be acknowledged
(e) when finally produced the resulting work will be either produced free for all or sold to benefit an appropriate mycological charity; I do not want to benefit financially from any of this.

I have to be honest - quite a number of those species will be basidio's - but asco's are my first love!

1000 species sounds a lot, but is actually considerably less than 20% of the Yorkshire total. One problem I have found is that now, when I have got better at the whole procedure (and have better hardware to produce the images), I find myself producing newer and better images of species already dealt with, but that will continue - though it slows up getting to the 1000 (quality is as important as quantity). I set myself the target of getting to 500 taxa by the end of 2014. However, for personal reasons I don't need to go into here, this year has been more than somewhat gnarly and I did not think I would be capable of achieving that target.

To my great surprise, and thanks to the weather, November and December have proved very productive. When totting up a few days ago I realised I was close to that 500 target and on Christmas Eve I was on #499. So I went out on Christmas Day to have a short walk from home (in central Huddersfield) to see if I could get that 500th species - I was pretty sure I could as there are many common species I have not dealt with yet. A lot of agarics are still in evidence (if fading somewhat) and I pretended I had not seen numerous basidiomata of an Agaricus ringing a Pinus tree in the local cemetery. It looked like I was going to have to work with a nice collection of Xylaria hypoxylon - 'candle snuff' in English, quite suitable for Christmas! But as I was returning home, on a whim I took an alternative route and there, almost calling out to me was a clump of Aleuria aurantia. It all fell into place -
*   the Christmas orange: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christingle
*   those wonderful ascospores, looking rather like Christmas tree decorations
*   and finally a Persoon species (he is my mycological hero, for various reasons)

Joyeux Noël!

Chris

• message #32862
Michel Hairaud, 26-12-2014 07:42
Michel Hairaud
Re : 500 and counting

Bonjour Chris,

Merci pour ce joli ''compte de Noël''

et bravo pour la qualité de la 500eme planche de ton projet. 

I do wish you a much less gnarly year for 2015.

Amitiés Michel

Ueli Graf, 26-12-2014 08:50
Ueli Graf
Hi Chris,
I congratulate you on your anniversary.

I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Gruss Ueli

Hans-Otto Baral, 26-12-2014 09:42
Hans-Otto Baral
Dear Chris

this is a nice idea indeed, although the limits of a county are somewhat arbitrary. Do you think the work will be printed or be only digital and perhaps online, in order to be improved and extended continuously?

I will for sure help you in taxonomic questions of discos. What I strongly recommend is a scale on the photos. I also recommend to indicate, e.g., apothecial and spore size on the plates.
Maybe you use the zoom for micros, in this case you can calculate the scale from the metadata.

Al the best for the coming year!
Zotto

hannie wijers, 26-12-2014 12:32
Nice story Chris and the best wishes foor next year.

Hannie
Jean-Pierre Lafont, 26-12-2014 21:26

Thank you Chris for this wonderful Christmas tale.

I am eager to see it becoming a reality. When it does, don't forget me!

I wish you a happy - and productive - new year

Sincerely

Jean-Pierre