Accès membres

Mot de passe perdu? S'inscrire

05-05-2024 12:55

Sylvie Le Goff

Bonjour Peut on dire que les poils soient vitreux?

05-05-2024 09:59

Gernot Friebes

Hello,I failed to identify this anamorph, which gr

19-04-2015 20:20

Enrique Rubio Enrique Rubio

Hi again Could you help me with this paper? NANN

30-04-2024 16:22

François Bartholomeeusen

Dear forum members,On April 25 2024, I found one f

03-05-2024 18:04

Riet van Oosten Riet van Oosten

Hello, Found by Laurens van der Linde on Rubus fr

02-05-2024 20:04

éric ROMERO éric ROMERO

Bonjour, Une question à propos de la réaction a

01-05-2024 23:22

Ethan Crenson

Hi all, Found late last week in a New York City p

29-04-2024 21:32

Robin Isaksson Robin Isaksson

Hi! Found in Sweden. Ascomata with haris, se

01-05-2024 12:54

F. JAVIER BALDA JAUREGUI

Hello, everyone.An idea for this pyreno, I found u

30-04-2024 16:59

Sylvie Le Goff

Bonjour. Petite pézize récoltée au sol en bordu

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
IUCN Fungal Red List Initiative
Joanne Taylor, 05-09-2014 23:29
Dear all,

Please see attached a letter encouraging mycologists and lichenologists to nominate of fungi, including lichens, for an IUCN Fungal Red List Initiative. The aim is to propose and contribute more fungal species to the IUCN Red List.

Please disseminate to to any websites, newsletters, Fungi groups, institutions, colleagues etc. to get some more interest in this great endeavour!
Thank you,

Jo Taylor (RBGE)
p.s. if you are not already aware of it please see the International Society for Fungal Conservation website at http://www.fungal-conservation.org/ and have a look at the society's journal 'Fungal Conservation'.

Pierre-Arthur Moreau, 05-09-2014 23:55
Pierre-Arthur Moreau
Re : IUCN Fungal Red List Initiative
Dear Joanne, the French Mycologist Society is currently involved in the elaboration of the French Red List, in collaboration with the French committee of IUCN. The main problems are indeed to document species as much as possible according to the IUCN criteria, which are mostly speculative considering the cryptic life style of fungi; but also to distinguish threat from rarity, and we make a point to clear these notions out in our decisions.
Rarity is a subjective data (the probability for a fungi to be observed by someone), and is often dependant on the observer himself - many rare species are only difficult to observe, or to identify, or fruit sporadically, or with a sspecific ecology, but what is threatened in such case is competent mycologists, rather than fungi themselves. Red-listed species must be reasonably identificable by a non-specialized mycologist, because they need to be monitorable.
I think such a hurry call-to-proposals will lack methodological support, and therefore final credibility. But the question deserves discussion !
Best regards, Pierre-Arthur
Joanne Taylor, 06-09-2014 12:34
Dear Pierre-Arthur, this initiative was launced over a year ago and some species are already in the process of being assessed using the IUCN Criteria for 2014. There are quite a few nominations on the website and this was just a call to nominate more before the 'deadline' for the 2015 assessments. As I point out in the paper that the full assessments for the global red list take a considerable time and this was a push to identify the 'low hanging fruit' i.e. the more obvious ones. This initiative has a finite life and the folk doing the assessments are putting in a lot of their time which is also finite! So while there is momentum and this process is in place it is an opportunity to get as many fungi red listed as possible, afterwhich the process of global red listing will be down to us again. Seeing as only 3 species have been red listed before, this process was put in place to raise awareness and show that there are fungi with conservation requirements.
As I pointed out in my letter, and you have outlined in you response, there are issues with the assessment of fungi, but equally there are also good candidates for assessment and it is these that the initiative aims to target.
All the best,
Jo
Jacques Fournier, 06-09-2014 15:13
Jacques Fournier
Dear PAM,
thanks for your statement that I fully support. The involvement of amateur mycologists is again and again requested, without any hope of financial compensation. In absence of qualified mycologists, any list, red or not is just paperwork.
Dear Joanne,
As suggested by PAM, please firtst take care of editing a red list of competent mycologists.
Good luck,
Jacques