BonjourTrouvé dans un torrent de montagne au Chir

29-04-2024 21:51

Mathias Hass Mathias Hass

Hi everyone, Found on attached branches of top pa

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Is this Keisseriella pinicola?
Steve Clements, 12-08-2014 16:59
Hi,
Im helping to lead a long-term fugal survey of Longshaw Estate in the Peak District, Northern England. I found this tiny asco with Orbilia on rotten conifer wood - most likely Pinus. The fungi were spherical, about 0.1mm in daimeter, scattered in a small group with setae around. They had a single ostiole. Asci were approx 40 x 5 um in Lugol. Spores were multiseptate - difficult to work exactly how many septa. Size was 17-21 x 3-4 in water, smaller in Lugol. Setae were attached to the fungi, approx 4 um wide and at least 50 long. The description in Ellis and Ellis of Keissleriella pinicola looks close. It hasn't been recorded in our part of England, but is reported from Southern England to Scotland.
Any help with this ID would be much appreciated,
Steve
  • message #30772
  • message #30772
  • message #30772
  • message #30772
  • message #30772
Paul Cannon, 12-08-2014 17:38
Re : Is this Keisseriella pinicola?
I don't think this is Keissleriella pinicola, the asci and ascospores are too long and thin. Look here: http://fungi.myspecies.info/all-fungi/keissleriella-pinicola - click on the Descriptions and Media tabs on the page for more information. Mybe you have a Chaetosphaeria - C. ciliata and C. pulviscula are broadly similar to your species.....

Best wishes

Paul
Andrew N. Miller, 12-08-2014 17:39
Andrew N. Miller
Appears to be a species of Chaetosphearia to me.

Andy
Steve Clements, 13-08-2014 09:04
Thanks Paul - yes, the spores are different in the images at Fungi of Great Britain and Ireland. (this is a resource I haven't used before). Can you suggest how I get a better view of the septa in spores such as this? - the guttules seem to mask them especially in the LED microscope I'm using.
Many thanks,
Steve
Steve Clements, 13-08-2014 09:08
Thanks Andy, I'll have a look at that genus more closely - I didn't realise how many had been recorded in the Sheffield area:

Chaetosphaeria callimorpha
Chaetosphaeria cupulifera
Chaetosphaeria inaequalis
Chaetosphaeria innumera
Chaetosphaeria myriocarpa
Chaetosphaeria ovoidea
Chaetosphaeria preussii
Chaetosphaeria pulviscula
Chaetosphaeria vermicularioides

Cheers, Steve
Paul Cannon, 13-08-2014 11:19
I'm glad FGB&I was helpful - there are descriptions of many of the other Chaetosphaeria-like species but not many images as yet. It's a difficult group that uses anamorph as well as teleomorph characters to separate species, so good luck and I'll help further if possible.
Regarding visibility of septa, the images on the FGB&I website were made from material mounted in lactic acid (which is warmed to remove air bubbles etc. and clear cell contents). This is an additional treatment to mounting in water that works well for some groups and less well for others (e.g. Helotiales), but in most cases you get more information using two methods rather than one.
I hope things go well: the microscope I was using for the images probably costs around £20K new and I fear that your equipment won't quite match up to it, but there is certainly potential for improvement....

Best wishes
Paul
Chris Yeates, 13-08-2014 11:51
Chris Yeates
Do bear in mind Steve that despite the similarity in the names Chaetosphaerella and Chaetosphaeria are not closely related
regards
Chris
Steve Clements, 14-08-2014 21:53
Thanks for that Chris!  There's a lot to learn - I'm getting some excellent help from Fungi John though.
Steve
Steve Clements, 14-08-2014 21:56
Many thanks for the advice and the offer of help Paul,
Steve