Accès membres

Mot de passe perdu? S'inscrire

19-10-2024 16:44

B Shelbourne B Shelbourne

• Macro and habitat suggest Hymenoscyphus (s.s.)

17-10-2024 11:14

Michel Hairaud Michel Hairaud

Bonjour, Voici un Ciboria actuellement présent s

13-10-2024 09:31

Maria Plekkenpol

Hello, I hope someone can help :). On dung of (wil

18-10-2024 18:12

Enrique Rubio Enrique Rubio

Hi to somebodyI have seen that there are some dive

17-10-2024 17:33

Gustaf Fredell Gustaf Fredell

Hello,A while ago I collected this pyrenomycete wh

14-10-2024 23:05

Yannick Mourgues Yannick Mourgues

Hi. I'm looking for the description of Anisomerid

16-10-2024 21:58

Philippe  Larue Philippe Larue

Bonjour à tous, que pensez-vous de cette petite

16-10-2024 12:29

• Chloroscypha was suggested to me, macro and ha

14-10-2024 09:27

Blasco Rafael Blasco Rafael

Hola, tengo esta muestra recogida sobre rama de ha

13-10-2024 12:27

• Macro and habitat suggest Ascocoryne.• The l

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Hymenoscyphus on fruit of Liquidambar
B Shelbourne, 19-10-2024 16:44
B Shelbourne• Macro and habitat suggest Hymenoscyphus (s.s.), and possibly fructigenus group/section scutuloideae.
• I cant really separate it from observations of H. fructigenus on various woody fruits, but the apos are small compared to the examples I've seen on acorns, the spores are longer and seem elongated, less scutuloid, and do not have a central restriction.
• I looked at other species in the group but the substrate is difficult and some characters did not seem to fit.
• I found one observation of H. fructigenus on fruits of Liquidambar from the US, but it is not verifiable as there is only one low resolution photo: https://mushroomobserver.org/observations/560994

Habitat: On (woody) fruit capsules of cultivated Liquidambar (Altingiaceae, non-native), labelled L. styraciflua 'Worplesdon', capsules still attached to composite fruit ball, on the floor, amongst leaf litter, under the tree, presumably xeric, small tree, between a lawn and a (slightly) more natural wooded area, private garden, High Weald, south England, mid-October, after rain.

Associates: Some black spherical and erumpent fruiting bodies, abundant short hyphae protruding from the substrate after some time in a damp box.

Apothecia: Several on the same fruit ball, 1(-2) per capsule, not caespitose, diameter < ~0.5 mm, height similar, whitish then yellowish, orangish when dry/overmature, cupulate to discoid, short stipe, narrow or obconical.

Low magnification: Slightly pruinose appearance, receptacle with yellowish-orangish patches, margin round, when young protruding above the disc with short whitish hairs, eventually out-rolled, resp. disc initially concave, eventually plano-convex, sometimes slightly umbilical, more yellow, stipe more translucent, with very short hairs, orangish around the base, soft-gelatinous texture when sliced, internally with medullary area more whitish and opaque, resp. receptacle and stipe more translucent.

Asci: Cylindrical-clavate, simple septa, rings weakly bb, Hymenoscyphus-type, apex rounded-conical when turgid, conical-subtruncate with shallow thickening when flaccid, thickening more dome-like when immature, some light exudate on top, after discharge with large collar-like opening, 2-2.5 seriate when turgid, sensitive to disturbance, soon abundantly discharging in water mount.

Spores: Elongated-lacrymoid, length variable, heteropolar with apex round and base acute-pointed, slightly scuteloid and slightly inequilateral or curved in profile view, uninucleate, aseptate, with ~3 medium-size LBs towards each pole (often 3 above the nucleus and 4 below) and several smaller ones, 0-2 (3?) short seta seen at the ends, occasionally a small outgrowth from one end, quite sensitive to disturbance.

Free living mature spores in water: (22.1) 22.7-27.0 (30.1) × (4.6) 4.7-5.3 (5.4) µm, Q = (4.4) 4.5 - 5.6 (6.1), N = 23, mean = 24.7 × 5.0 µm, Q mean = 5.0.

Paraphyses: Narrow cylindrical, uninflated at the apex, no branching above the base observed, Hymenoscyphus-type VBs.

Medullary and excipulum: Structure comparable to H. fructigenus, marginal cells with slightly clavate-capitate apices, with orange-yellow pigment/exudate in external network of hyphae and marginal cells.

• message #80428
  • message #80428
  • message #80428
  • message #80428
Hans-Otto Baral, 19-10-2024 20:38
Hans-Otto Baral
Re : Hymenoscyphus on fruit of Liquidambar
Yes, spore size is clearly too high for H. fructigenus. I compared Hymenoscyphus fucarus and H fucatus var. badensis. especially a collection by Viktorie seems to be similar. It should be in ascofrance but the link I have is wrng.
Martin Bemmann, 19-10-2024 21:10
Martin Bemmann
B Shelbourne, 19-10-2024 21:33
B Shelbourne
Thank you.

I was conflicted over the spores that looked closer to H. scutula, the substrate, and the variance of spores across H. fructigenus. Unfortunately, I did not look at H. fucatus and it seems this was due to the lack of croziers.
Hans-Otto Baral, 19-10-2024 22:14
Hans-Otto Baral
Yes, that's the link. Indeed, H. fucatus has croziers, but similar collections with a bit long spores I have in aff. fucatus. The limits to H. scutula are indeed problematic. Typical H. scutula has long setulae at the spore ends.
B Shelbourne, 19-10-2024 23:15
B Shelbourne
Yes, I see the folder now and the similarity between the spores, although some look to have smaller LBs.

I thought the setulae were too short (and maybe the number too variable) for H. scutula and the spores different to H. virgultorum too.