26-04-2024 10:07

Mathias Hass Mathias Hass

Hello, Does anyone know what this is? Found on J

24-04-2024 21:54

éric ROMERO éric ROMERO

Bonjour, J'ai trouvé ce Lasiobolus sur laissées

23-04-2024 15:18

Lothar Krieglsteiner Lothar Krieglsteiner

... but likely a basidiomycete. I hope it is o.k.

23-04-2024 13:17

Edouard Evangelisti Edouard Evangelisti

Bonjour à tous, Je viens de récolter ce que je

23-04-2024 21:49

Ethan Crenson

Hello all, A friend recently found this orange as

22-04-2024 11:52

Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová) Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová)

Hello,I made a loan of a collection of Microstoma

11-01-2022 16:36

Jason Karakehian Jason Karakehian

Hi does anyone have a digital copy of Raitviir A (

22-04-2024 08:54

Rafael Cabral

Bonjour à toutes et tous, Quelqu'un pourrait-il

22-04-2024 20:38

Miguel Ãngel Ribes Miguel Ángel Ribes

Good afternoon.Does anyone know this anamorph?It g

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
unknown Sordariomycete (Diaporthale?)
Björn Wergen, 23-11-2013 20:55
Björn WergenHi friends,

I have an unknown Sordariomycete species growing on dead, corticated Quercus twigs. It has somewhat scattered/clustered, erumpent black perithecia of about 0,5-0,7mm diametre and small but distinct beaks.

The microscopic characters are interesting: spores are 21-28x5-6,5µm and 3septated, with very indistinct, striate surface, first hyaline, then very very pale yellow to pale brown. Asci medium stalked, with 8 spores in +/- biseriate arrangement, IKI-, Congo only in full mature asci distinct +.

I have looked around Pseudovalsa, Prosthecium, Phragmodiaporthe and others, but I couldn't find this species in any literature until now.

It is of course definitely unitunicate and macroscopically resembles perithecia of Pseudovalsa, but with different microscopic features.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.
cheers,
björn
  • message #25922
  • message #25922
  • message #25922
  • message #25922
  • message #25922
Jacques Fournier, 23-11-2013 22:22
Jacques Fournier
Re : unknown Sordariomycete (Diaporthale?)
Hi Bjorn,
did you consider Discostroma or Lepteutypa? In those genera the amyloid reaction of the apical ring may be difficult to make out. Discostroma has such striate ascospores in cylindrical asci but the beaked ascomata do not fit well. Something tricky anyway.
Cheers,
Jacques
Björn Wergen, 23-11-2013 23:20
Björn Wergen
Hi Jacques,

I think that the apical structure of the asci is definitely another typ as usual in Lepteutypa or Discostroma. Nevertheless, I checked both genera and didn't find any matching species at all (spore sizes or substrates very different).

I think it has something to do with Diaporthales in a further sense, probably one of the genera which have incertae sedis status.

regards,
björn
Jacques Fournier, 24-11-2013 10:00
Jacques Fournier
Yes Bjorn,
you are probably right. Good luck!
Jacques
Alain GARDIENNET, 25-11-2013 21:26
Alain GARDIENNET
Hi friends,

I've got all your ideas (including Jacques'one) and finally my conclusion also is that this fungus should be a Diaporthale.

In Diaporthale, one fungus has the same ascospores : Phragmoporthe conformis.
Björn, are you completly sure of Quercus ? Couldn't it be Alnus ?

But some features are not verified : clypeus is lacking, and apical apparatus is too small. Thus, it looks like a Pseudovalsa.  
Alain
Björn Wergen, 25-11-2013 22:03
Björn Wergen
Hi Alain,

Phragmoporthe conformis is completely different, with other ascus sizes, apical apparatus and a "Ditopella ditopa-appearance", which has made me insane...

I also think its something in Pseudovalsa. But it can also be completely wrong anyway.

Its definitely Quercus.

regards,
björn
Alain GARDIENNET, 25-11-2013 22:23
Alain GARDIENNET

I've perhaps another idea: have you look towards Prosthecium innesii ?
It's a species usually give,n on Acer, but sometimes seen on other hosts like Quercus.
But, have you observed an ectostroma ?
See that way,
Alain    

Björn Wergen, 25-11-2013 22:26
Björn Wergen
Of course, Prosthecium innesii = P. platanoidis is microscopically similar, but macroscopically very very different. Look also on my page for all these species, I have found many of them. THIS one is not P. platanoidis, I am very sure.

Look also at the appendages of P. platanoidis.

I think there is no ectostroma...the species is not valsoid, perithecia seem to grow under the surface in random arrangement, tending to cluster.
Alain GARDIENNET, 25-11-2013 22:36
Alain GARDIENNET
Yes, I didn't realize that innesii= platanoidis, so,  it's indeed very different, I confirm that you're right.
I've no solution, sorry.
Alain
Björn Wergen, 25-11-2013 22:38
Björn Wergen
What's up Alain? You always have good ideas, come on :P

A new species? Walter should look at it...
Jaklitsch Walter, 28-11-2013 16:09
Hi,
I had a short discussion with Martina, because the ascospores resemble those of several genera she is studying. We agree with Jacques that it is tricky. My first impression of the horizontal section, and this is also in accordance with Jacques,  was that of a xylarialean fungus. One of the problems here is that the images do not show an ascus base nor whole paraphyses. It is also not clear whether the fungus is stromatic or not, the perithecia are possibly just randomly aggregated. Is there a clypeus? Do the asci become detached and float free? Does not seem like. Also the paraphyses seem to be narrow and persistent. I would therefore rather exclude the Diaporthales. Also the ecology (many algal cells present) rather points to Xylariales.

Björn: as written in a mail - and I want to write this here for all collectors as a general wish: if you collect, collect a lot of material, not just tiny little bits, because in the latter case the material is useless and a waste of time, energy and money, if interesting but not sufficient for decent morphology, esp. illustrations. So, please send me the material, if it is not scant, e.g. just consisting of the cut perithecia.
Regards,
Walter
Björn Wergen, 28-11-2013 19:19
Björn Wergen
Hi Walter,

ok, thank you for the replay. I did not collect the material, its from Austria (R. Moosbeckhofer, Wien). I have found this one on only one twig, but there are lots more than only the showed perithecia.

Of course I can send you the material.

regards,
björn