Hello, a thin-fleshed Mollisia on a monocot stem

15-07-2024 10:38

Joaquin Martin

Hi, I found this Ascobolus in company of Cheilyme

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Trichonectria on Populus wood
Matthias Reul, 12-12-2023 18:18
Matthias ReulHi altogether,

a few weeks ago Torsten Richter found the hereby presented fungus on a dead twig of Populus tremula. Despite the fact, that there were also plenty of algae on the twig, it does not seem to be lichenicolous, no lichens could be seen near the fungus. 
We thought about the genus Lasionectria first, but no species that we know or found in the literature accessible to us matches, especially the partially apically furcate hairs seem to be pretty unique. W. von Brackel pointed us towards the genus Trichonectria where T. furcatosetosa comes very close, the hairs fit very well, also the spore size and ornamentation. I tried to get fotos of the finely punctate ornamentation in cotton blue, but that was not very successful, however the punctate ornaments were clearly visible and the dead spores in the attachend document show that feature also pretty well. 
The only "problem" for the determination as T. furcatosetosa is that this species should be lichenicolous which is not the case here. 

Is there maybe someone who already found something similar or can contribute any information about the possible identification of this fungus? 
Thanks for any reply.

Matthias
Adam Polhorský, 14-12-2023 19:13
Re : Trichonectria on Populus wood
Oh great! I had this species recently (29.10), but could not ID it further than Lasionectria/Trichonectria.
Do you have the description of T. furcatosetosa? Thank you.
I also had trouble showcasing the obvious ornamentation.
My find was growing on a decorticated, attached twig of Cornus mas on a rather dense algal biofilm. There was no obvious lichen present, but I would not exclude the ID just because of this, perhaps the algae are enough.
Adam
  • message #77621
  • message #77621
  • message #77621
  • message #77621
Matthias Reul, 14-12-2023 19:48
Matthias Reul
Re : Trichonectria on Populus wood
Hi Adam,

thanks for your reply. I also thought maybe furcatosetosa is only occasionally growing on lichens, where of course algae are involved, too. I'll send you the description.
When I have time, I'll try to get some pictures of the ornaments again.

Matthias