26-04-2024 10:07

Mathias Hass Mathias Hass

Hello, Does anyone know what this is? Found on J

24-04-2024 21:54

éric ROMERO éric ROMERO

Bonjour, J'ai trouvé ce Lasiobolus sur laissées

23-04-2024 15:18

Lothar Krieglsteiner Lothar Krieglsteiner

... but likely a basidiomycete. I hope it is o.k.

23-04-2024 13:17

Edouard Evangelisti Edouard Evangelisti

Bonjour à tous, Je viens de récolter ce que je

23-04-2024 21:49

Ethan Crenson

Hello all, A friend recently found this orange as

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Podospora granulostriata ?
Chris Yeates, 03-01-2015 17:38
Chris YeatesThis fungus produced a good number of perithecia on dung of roe deer, Capreolus capreolus, collected in a marshy clearing in a Betula/Salix wood, with Sphagnum, Polytrichum and Phragmites nearby. The dung had been incubated for a little over three weeks.
I have read with interest the various threads on ASCOFrance concerning these sometimes confusing polysporous Podospora species. After much deliberation I am fairly confident that this is Podospora granulostriata. These are the reasons:
* Perithecia mostly-immersed and with stiff, non-agglutinated hairs at the neck. I appreciate this still leaves a number of other 'possibles'.
* Number of spores per ascus; I did a careful calculation based on the area of the spore mass in the left hand mature ascus in the attached image, divided by the area of an individual spore at the same scale. The result was a factor of over x200; so allowing for slight flattening beneath the coverslip a total of 512 spores seems highly likely, certainly much higher than 256 spores.
* Spore dimensions: 20.7-22 x 13-14µm.
* Granulose spore appendages, easier to see than to photograph, but an example can be seen here.
* I have noticed in a different thread that Michel Delpont has commented on contrictions at the septa of the hairs being significant; I observed that feature here.
* Habitat: Lundqvist in SymbolBot.Upsal vol. 20 (1972) comments: "All examined gatherings, certainly the German and Hungarian too, have been found in forests, and it is likely that P. granulostriataprefers this milieu and cervid dung".

As always comments and opinions would be very welcome.
Amitiés
Chris

Michel Delpont, 03-01-2015 19:19
Michel Delpont
Re : Podospora granulostriata ?
Good evening Chris.

I think that it is Podospora granulostriata. Actually counting spores inside asci is not always easy, but your calculation seems to fit. It would be interesting to photograph spores optical microscope that allows I think a better view of the above granules with a dye.

Michel.
Chris Yeates, 06-01-2015 21:38
Chris Yeates
Merci beaucoup Michel
je ai été absent pendant quelques jours, d'où cette réponse tardive

amitiés
Chris
Norbert Heine, 07-01-2015 00:03
Norbert Heine
Hi Chris,

you show perithecia with stiff hairs, large multispored asci and typical ascospores - I have no doubt with Podospora granulostriata!

I know this species from more than twenty gatherings and found it mostly on dung of deer and roe deer.
Only two times on sheep and one time on hare and wild boar.

Norbert